Ministry of Agriculture,Animal Health and Fisheries share
COVID -19 Advisory to farmers and the general public
Objective: To reinforce efforts to eliminate the corona virus by stepping up compliance from Agricultural Value Chain Players.
- All livestock related services/activities shall continue to be rendered with the exception of those that require gatherings of more than 10 people such as livestock markets, workshops and large meetings.
- A11 livestock markets shall be closed for the duration of the presidential directives on the prevention of Covid-19.
- Whenever it is necessary and within the law, during the period of suspension of livestock markets, the selling and buying of livestock shall take place at the farms of origin of the animals provided that the people present at that time are not more than 10.
- In the course of their work, veterinarians must safeguard their health, the health of those they work with, and their clients’ health against Covid-19. Hence, they must ensure that appropriate levels of bio-security are implemented, that their personnel are protected with the necessary personal protective equipment (PPE) such as appropriate respiratory masks, gloves, overalls or protective coats, foot protective wear and that animal owners are informed of the precautionary measures in place to avoid acquiring and the spread of COVID-l9.
- Therefore, in view of number 4 above, animal health workers should” be provided with basic PPEs and appropriate disinfectants required for their protection while carrying out official duties.
- It is the responsibility of each individual to ensure that appropriate
behavior is exhibited in the framework of these duties, to avoid
acquiring or further spread of COVID- 19.
- A11 veterinary facilities (laboratories, animal check points, disease control infrastructures, slaughter houses) and offices shall operate following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) provided by the Ministry of Health for the prevention of Covid-19.
- Butchers and Meat Shops should continue with their usual operations
but strictly observe Hygiene and Sanitary conditions as provided by the Ministry of Health.